Welcome to The Education Conservancy!
Welcome to The Education Conservancy!
Established in March, 2004, The Education Conservancy (EC) is a non-profit
organization committed to improving college admission processes for
students, colleges and high schools. By harnessing the research, ideas,
leadership and imagination of thoughtful educators, EC delivers appropriate
advice, advocacy and services. In a short period of time EC has established its presence and enlisted significant interest and support nationwide.
2011 has been a watershed year in the development of effective partnerships and the delivery of useful tools.
Recent developments include:
- "Information Matters" A Research project funded by Lumina Foundation for Education and conducted in collaboration with Consumer Reports. It investigates the research needs of prospective college students and makes a case for improving the quality and delivery of information. Executive summary and full report available here.
- "Find the Best Colleges for You" A guide to help students identify, find, and apply college selection information. It was produced by Consumer Reports and based on the results of the Information Matters research. The guide can be accessed here.
- "You Can Go" A Web site developed in partnership with the College Board to help inspire, inform, and assist those students facing the biggest hurdles to college access. The site can be accessed here.
- "Big Future" A comprehensive college planning Web site developed in partnership with the College Board, which incorporates many of the precepts established during the Beyond Ranking meeting. The site is expected to launch in March, 20012.
- "Case for Change": the January 2011 workshop co-sponsored with USC's Center for Enrollment Research, Practice and Policy is detailed here. A summary report is also available.
We invite you to explore and make use of College Unranked; developments; our guiding values; our expanding resources for students, parents and counselors; and the list of those supporting the EC. We welcome your membership,
comments and the opportunity to send you updates via our email list.
- "Addressing the Antitrust Hurdle": What can be done to reconcile higher education's public mission with the Department of Justice's 1991 decision regarding the Overlap Group Agreements? A coordinated effort to provide tactical solutions.
- "Enrollment Management in the Public Interest" An initial meeting of concerned enrollment management professionals to discuss and propose strategies for effecting change. May 14, Spencer Foundation in Chicago.
- "Trustee Training": A concerted campaign to produce training and educational programs that will help college and university trustees evaluate and govern their institutions according to institutional mission and the public interest.
- "Merit Aid at Public Universities": What rationale and implications are at play for public colleges and universities as they follow private institutions by increasingly using merit aid to attract students? What can be done to ensure better educational return on financial aid investments?
For more information, contact us directly and also join our email update list.
EC Executive Director
805 SW Broadway, Suite 1600
Portland, OR 97205
"Information Matters: Addressing the Needs of Prospective College Students" Research project Executive Summary, Full Report
"You Can Go" Website for inspiring students facing significant hurdles to attending college
"Find the Best Colleges for You" College planning guide for students
The Executive Director will be making various presentations during 2012. Please see schedule to learn more.
Order Online Now
Ending the College Admissions Frenzy
published by Harvard University Press
Consulting and public speaking engagements are currently being booked for the 2011-12 academic year. Please contact us directly.
For Use by All
We Admit...Guidance From Those Who Do - a popular and useful poster among colleges and high schools.
"Honorable Admissions" - our web page for admission deans to describe their colleges' efforts to align admission practices with educational principles.
EC Overview - a brief synopsis of our mission, strategy, accomplishments and current projects.
EC's Collegiate Contributors - a comprehensive list of those who have supported our projects and organization.
"College Admissions: What Are Students Learning?" - Pilot research about the impact of the college admissions process on students' attitudes and behaviors.