Accomplishments & Media
top of page
- Einhorn Family Charitable Trust
- RSF Social Finance
- Lumina Foundation for Education
- The Christian A. Johnson Endeavor Foundation
- The Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
- The Spencer Foundation
Research and Projects
top of page
top of page
- EC partnered with the USC Center for Enrollment Research, Policy, and Practice, in January 2011 to convene a national workshop, "The Case for Change in College Admissions". A detailed overview of the workshop including the agenda, speakers, and recommended readings is available on the CERPP website here. A summary report is also available.
- Sponsored "In the Public Interest: Envisioning an Exemplary System of College Admissions in the United States," a meeting with philosophers, sociologists, economists, and leading educators working to identify and evaluate the necessary criteria that would define an exemplary admission system to serve higher education's public interest needs. Hosted by NYU's Steinhardt Institute on January 15, 2010 with funding from the Spencer Foundation.
- Co-convened a pilot meeting of the Oregon Presidents Council, April 10, 2009. Sponsored by Willamette University.
- Convened meetings of college counselors for the Beyond Ranking Project on March 31, 2008 at St. Mary's College of California and on April 14, 2008 at Harvard University.
- Sponsored "Beyond Ranking: Responding to the Call for Useful Information," an invitational conference attended by more than one hundred education officials and experts. Hosted by Yale University, September 25, 2007.
- Sponsored a research Planning meeting Oct. 13, 2006 at Drew University and a preliminary work meeting September 26, 2005 in D.C.
- Sponsored College Admissions in the Public Interest, a meeting of college presidents, foundation leaders, and academics, June 15 & 16, 2006. Several president-directed projects emerged from this meeting and are being orchestrated by the EC's director.
- Hosted "Summit on Admissions," a three-day work meeting attended by 30 senior college admission deans, vice-presidents, and college counselors June 15-17, 2005.
Speeches / Presentations
The EC's director has delivered more than 100 speeches, including eight regional NACAC keynote addresses, presentations to organizations of college trustees, presidents, admission deans, high school admission directors, counselors, and groups of students and parents.
Speeches / Presentation Archive
- "Listen to your Constituents" speech delivered during the Annapolis Group meeting of member college presidents (Annapolis, MD) June 21, 2011.
- "Marquis Scholars: Keynote Address" at Lafayette College, April 4, 2011. Video clip available here.
- Consulted during a meeting of the Yes We Must Coalition, a group of colleges organizing to address the needs of undeserved students (Washington, DC) March 18, 2011.
- "You Can Go" presentation during regional College Board meeting (San Francisco, CA) February 26, 2011.
- "Collaborative Approaches to Student Aid Policy" workshop at the Council for Independent Colleges Presidents Institute (Palm Springs, CA) January 5, 2011.
- "Helping More Students Make Better College Planning Decisions" panel at the College Board Forum (Washington, DC) October 27, 2010.
- "Working Together to Serve Students as Learners in the College Planning Process" panel session at 2010 NACAC annual meeting (St. Louis, MO) October 2, 2010.
- "A Student-Centered Website" panel presentation at the College Board New England Forum, February 9, 2010.
- "College Admissions in the Public Interest" plenary presentation at Southern Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers annual meeting, February 3, 2010.
- "Envisioning an Exemplary Admission System" panel session at 2009 NACAC annual meeting, September 26, 2009.
- "College Lists 2.0" panel session at 2009 NACAC annual meeting, September 25, 2009.
- "The State of Higher Education" special guest presentation for the Western Association for College Admission Counseling's Northern California Summer Counselor College Tour at St. Mary's College of California, August 5, 2009.
- "Access and Opportunity" plenary presentation for National Association of Fellowships Advisors annual meeting, July 17, 2009.
- "Doing Well by Doing Good" keynote speech for Pennsylvania Association for College Admission Counseling meeting, June 29, 2009.
- "Exploring the Prototype Website from the Beyond Rankings Project" plenary presentation for ACCIS: the Association for College Counselors in Independent Schools Summer Institute, June 16, 2009.
- "Cultivating Studenthood: Sending Signals, Influencing Behavior" panel presentation at Wake Forest University Rethinking Admissions conference, April 16-17, 2009.
top of page
- Articles about the Education Conservancy (EC) have appeared in The New York Times, Washington Post, Boston Globe, Chronicle of Higher Education, Inside Higher Education, San Francisco Chronicle, Seattle Times, Chicago Sun-Times, London Times, Oregonian, Philadelphia Inquirer, USA Today, Money Magazine and Seventeen. Links to several of these articles are listed below.
October 19, 2011 - "Clashes of Money and Values: A Survey of Admissions Directors" in Inside Higher Ed
September 21, 2011 - "Universities Seeking Out Students of Means" in The New York Times (Tamar Lewin)
September 13, 2011 - "U.S. News Participation Drops" in Inside Higher Ed (Scott Jaschik)
September 6, 2011 - "Colleges Should Compete Less and Collaborate More in Admissions, Report Says" in The Chronicle of Higher Education (Eric Hoover)
March 19, 2011 - "Students Continue Trend of Applying to More Colleges" in The L.A. Times (Larry Gordon)
January 7, 2011 - "Straddling Sides" in The New York Times (Jaques Steinberg)
January 7, 2011 - "Presidents Plot Push for Aid Changes" in Inside Higher Ed (Doug Lederman)
December 6, 2010 - "Using the Rankings" in Inside Higher Ed (Scott Jaschik)
May 4, 2010 - "Return of College-Rankings Season Brings Out Critics" on AOL News (Dana Chivvis)
December 8, 2009 - "Simplistic Rankings Do Little Justice to Colleges" in Tufts Daily
September 1, 2009 - "Validity of Reputable College Ranking Guide Troubles Educators" in The Pendulum (Margeaux Corby)
August 20, 2009 - "In the Latest 'U.S. News' Survey, a Higher Response Rate and the Usual Winners" in The Chronicle of Higher Education (Elyse Ashburn)
August 20, 2009 - "Rankings Frenzy '09" in Inside Higher Ed (Scott Jaschik)
August 20, 2009 - "Clemson maintains No. 22 ranking in latest magazine report" in Anderson Independent-Mail (John Staed)
August 19, 2009 - "Reputation Without Rigor" in Inside Higher Ed (Stephanie Lee)
June 17, 2009 - "On Survey, Machen Rates UF with Harvard, Other Fla. Schools Low" in The Gainesville Sun (Nathan Crabbe)
June 17, 2009 - "New Business for 'U.S. News'" in Inside Higher Ed (Scott Jaschik)
June 13, 2009 - "Some Question Clemson's Means in Seeking Top 20 End" in Anderson Independent Mail (John Stead)
June 4, 2009 - "Clemson Official: School Manipulated Rankings" in Associated Press (Justin Pope)
- The EC's director appeared in a segment of CNN's "Perry's Principles" included on the Anderson Cooper 360 show. The segment originally aired July 28, 2011 and can be viewed here.
- The EC's director helped produce "Stress Test," a Dan Rather Reports special on college admissions that originally aired May 27, 2008. More information and a link to the program (episode 319) is available here.
- The EC's director appeared on CNN August 26 & 27, 2006.
top of page
top of page
- "Ranksteering: Driving Under the Influence of College Rankings." The New England Journal of Higher Education, Winter 2008: 15-17.
- "Confronting the Commercialization of College Admissions Leadership Opportunities." Key Issues in New Student Enrollment: New Directions for Student Services. Ed. Thomas Crady and James Sumner. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2007: 70-74.
- The EC's director contracted to write articles for The Chronicle of Higher Education, The London Times, and Trusteeship
September 15, 2006 - "A Question For...Lloyd Thacker" (pdf) in Trusteeship
February 25, 2005 - "Confronting the Commercialization of Admissions", in The Chronicle of Higher Education.
- College Unranked has been republished by Harvard University Press, and has sold nearly 10,000 copies since its original publication in September, 2004; a second book is being discussed. College Unranked is being translated into Korean.
top of page
- Received donations from more than fifty colleges and universities. High schools, school districts, and individuals are also supporting the EC.
- More than 250 colleges and high schools have linked to the EC website.